Sunday, November 18, 2012

Holidays Schmolidays


Holy Hannah.  I need to catch up on my blog happenings.  However, it has been difficult trying to manage my time lately.


I finally nailed a job.  I am the Activities Director/Events Coordinator at an Assisted Living/ Memory Care facility.  Sounds fun and entertaining.. but it's more work than it sounds.  I work all day, I drive home and then work some more.  Not to mention I have a boss that is hard to please.... not necessarily in a bad way, it will only make me stronger in the end.  However, for now... I have a job... and when the residents I work with thank me for what I do for them (as little as it seems sometimes), it eliminates all my stressors for that moment.


I never thought I would be the type to work in memory care and assisted living... however, it's growing on me and I am finding myself attached to them.  I always thought of myself as too active to work with the elderly, but when you work with adults who have dementia and are in their 60's-70's, I feel like I can hardly keep up with them after chasing them around all day.  It truly is a blessing.


On the downside... I have to work all of the holidays this year.  I guess it would be better described as being bittersweet.  It's our first year out west, so we need to start our own traditions... however, we have 60 residents at our facility right now, and it saddens me to not see family members in and visiting their loved ones more.  So, I volunteered myself to take the holidays this year so I can share these special times with people who are deserving.  Not that Chris isn't... but he has Chum at home to entertain him :)


In my not-so "spare-time"  we have been discussing/working on our new business.  I have always wanted this and I have the support system to help push me.  The plan is to open up our own business where we will be selling a new line of art work that I designed that entails refurnished furniture which is painted/mosaic and mixed media of salmon art.  The name is yet to be determined... but Chris' job is finding and refurnishing the furniture... while I create the 'art' part.  I am also making homemade beeswax candles and soap in my own signature designed jars.  After that ball gets rolling... I would like to start my art classes for at risk youth/ developmentally disabled and so on, and Chris' part will be organizing fishing trips for the at risk youth and teaching them about fishing and environmental issues of salmon and hopefully his photography.  It's a leap and a jump away, but it is moving one step at a time.  I can't keep saying I want to do this and then not make the time to do it... so, we ARE making the time and taking the steps to get there.





However, with this exciting news... I do have next weekend off, and we are planning on going out fishing.  :)  Tis the season to catch some fish!


Short, sweet... and getting my point across.  LOVE.





No comments:

Post a Comment